The University of Stellenbosch Business School (USB), located in the Tyger Valley business district in the northern part of Cape Town, offers a wide range of internationally accredited management and leadership programmes.
USB is recognised as a top school in the international business school network. It was the first school from an African university to receive all three international accreditations: AACSB, EQUIS and AMBA. USB has also been named the No 1 business school in South Africa for 2015 by PMR.africa.
Overall, USB strives to develop responsible leaders through well-grounded business education and research.
USB’s programmes are relevant for South Africa, other African countries and beyond. Over and above USB’s flagship MBA, which is presented over a shorter period from 2016, USB offers programmes in Development Finance, Leadership Development, Management Coaching, Futures Studies and Project Management.
USB’S PORTFOLIO OF ACADEMIC PROGRAMMES
- MBA: USB’s triple accredited MBA gives students an astute understanding of business, enabling them to take on positions on senior management level in any industry. It also allows them to lead with confidence, think critically, function globally, build business connections and apply business knowledge to the benefit of society. The programme consists of core modules, electives, a research assignment and a compulsory International Study Module at a foreign business school (costs included in MBA fees). USB offers a Full-time MBA (1 year), and Modular MBA (2 years; blocks of classes; various intakes). All programmes are presented in English, except the one modular MBA commencing in February, which is mainly Afrikaans. Find more information at www.usb.ac.za/mba.
- MPhil in Development Finance: The MPhil in Development Finance (MDevF) covers all aspects of development finance, including a thorough understanding of the theories underpinning development finance practices. It also focuses on enterprise-level development finance and sustainable growth. This makes the MDevF a cri?tical-skills degree for Africa. It is aimed at people who are involved with finance and financial management issues in developing countries. This is a two-year modular programme (3 blocks of 2 weeks each on the USB campus). A research assignment must be completed. Find more information at www.usb.ac.za/mdevfin.
- MPhil in Management Coaching: This degree will enable you to confidently coach managers and leaders towards reaching their full potential. This programme adheres to international best practice while also emphasising management coaching in a uniquely African context. This 2-year programme consists of 5 one-week modules and a research assignment. Find more information at www.usb.ac.za/coaching.
- MPhil in Futures Studies: USB’s internationally accredited MPhil in Futures Studies builds on the School’s Postgraduate Diploma in Futures Studies to deepen your understanding of futures concepts and futures tools. As such, it is aimed at anyone who wants to bring about a more desirable future. It is also aimed at turning you into a professional futurist. This qualification will therefore equip decision makers and strategic planners with essential skills to make strategic long-term decisions so that they can deal with rapid and complex changes both locally and internationally. This is the only MPhil degree of its kind in Africa. This 2-year programme consists of about 25 blended learning sessions and a research assignment. Find more information at www.usb.ac.za/mphilfutures.
- PhD in Business Management and Administration: This doctoral programme focuses on in-depth research to develop employable knowledge that can be applied directly in the workplace. It is a non-structured programme that allows students to determine their own timing. Participants may enrol for full-time or part-time studies. Find more information at www.usb.ac.za/phd.
- PhD in Development Finance: The purpose of USB's internationally accredited PhD in Development Finance is to contribute to a crucial understanding of development finance and to support the growth agendas of South Africa, the greater African continent and beyond. It also leads to employable expertise. It is structured into a course-work component (2 blocks of 2 weeks each on campus) and a research component during the second and subsequent years of registration. Find more information at www.usb.ac.za/phd-in-development-finance.
- PhD in Futures Studies: This research degree forms part of USB’s Futures Studies cluster of programmes. It allows students to become specialists in this field by acquiring in-depth knowledge through doctoral research. The programme is aimed at professional futurists, decision makers and strategic planners who would like to distinguish themselves through in-depth research aimed at helping people to bring about a more desirable future. This is the only PhD degree of its kind in Africa. Find more information at www.usb.ac.za/phdfutures.
- Postgraduate Diploma in Business Management and Administration: This programme allows students to acquire entrepreneurship skills and an entrepreneurial approach to business, as well as general management skills and an understanding of business in Africa. It can also provide access to an MBA. Graduates continuing with USB’s MBA will get recognition for 32 credits (15%) on the MBA. This learn-while-you-earn programme over 1 year is delivered in two formats: Choose between Blended learning (combination of on-campus and online classes) and Modular (5 blocks of on-campus classes). Find more information at www.usb.ac.za/pgdbma.
- Postgraduate Diploma in Development Finance: This programme provides managers with a clear understanding of the role of development finance, especially in Africa. Outcomes include the ability to contribute meaningfully to the design and implementation of development finance policies and projects. This is a modular programme (2 on-campus blocks of classes spread over 1 year), which allows you to study while you work. Find more details at www.usb.ac.za/pgddevfin.
- Postgraduate Diploma in Futures Studies: This programme will equip decision makers and strategic planners with essential skills to make strategic long-term decisions so that they can deal with rapid and complex changes both locally and internationally. This programme can also provide access to USB’s MPhil in Futures Studies. Both USB’s Postgraduate Diploma and MPhil in Futures Studies are the only programmes of their kind in Africa. It is delivered in 1 on-campus block (4 days) and about 25 blended learning sessions, allowing students to study while they work. Find more details at www.usb.ac.za/pgdfutures.
- Postgraduate Diploma in Leadership Development: This programme acknowledges leadership as the prime driver of a culture of performance. That is why the programme focuses on your development as a leader and not on managerial functions such as finance, marketing and economics as well. These leadership competencies can be applied in any industry, anywhere in the world. The programme is aimed at managers in the private and public sector, professionals who want to prepare for managerial positions, and those who want to broaden their leadership competencies. It is presented in 4 study blocks over 1 year. Find more information at www.usb.ac.za/leadership.
- Postgraduate Diploma in Project Management: ?This programme focuses on strategic project management and upper management skills to produce professional project managers. The modules include risk, procurement, communication and cost management, as well as project leadership. It is presented in 6 study blocks (1 week each) spread over 2 years. Project management is listed as a scarce skill in South Africa. Find more details at www.usb.ac.za/projectmanagement.
- Executive education: USB Executive Development Ltd (USB-ED) offers comprehensive programmes for managers from entry to executive level as well as discipline-specific programmes. Find more information at www.usb-ed.com.
REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD CHOOSE USB
Three international accreditations
USB has quality guarantees in the form of AACSB, EQUIS and AMBA accreditation. USB was the first school from an African university to hold all three international accreditations for business schools.
USB’s international participation is demonstrated by its three international accreditations, its international student body, visiting international faculty and exchange students, the compulsory MBA International Study Module at a foreign business school on the MBA programme, its presence in many parts of the African continent, and partnerships with business schools on all continents.
USB is your business knowledge partner in Africa. The School has become known for its African-focused expertise in areas such as development finance, ethics and corporate governance, personal leadership development, management coaching, futures research and emerging-country economics.
A strong focus on leadership development forms part of our programmes – in particular our MBA and Postgraduate Diploma in Leadership Development. USB’s leadership expertise is benchmarked against international standards and endorsed by a growing body of respected research institutions.
Collaborative learning is a key feature of USB’s programmes, and this intense engagement contributes to the life-changing experience of studying with us. Each student brings different qualifications, management experience and cultural knowledge to the table.
On your study journey at USB, you will collaborate with people from a wide range of cultures and countries. Students come from all over South Africa, the rest of Africa and the world. This diversity will add depth to your learning experience and help you to build valuable networks of business contacts and fellow students that will last you a lifetime.
Find more information at www.usb.ac.za.