The primary purpose of the Higher Certificate in Short-Term Insurance is to equip students with the knowledge and skills required by short-term insurance specialists operating within the South African insurance environment. Students will be competent and able to provide short-term insurance advice across the fields of personal and commercial insurance.
The programme is suitable for:
- persons who have already achieved an NQF Level 4 qualification in Short-term Insurance and who want to further their studies in short-term insurance.
- persons working in the financial services industry wishing to enhance, develop or formalise their skills and knowledge with a qualification in this area.
- persons wanting to enter the short-term insurance industry.
- persons requiring a full qualification for FAIS purposes.
The Higher Certificate in Short-Term Insurance appears on the Financial Services Board’s (FSB) list of recognised qualifications for FAIS Fit and Proper purposes. In terms of this rating, the qualification is considered to be a relevant qualification in respect of the product categories indicated as a generic (G) below, while rated as specific (S) or (SP) in Category I in the sub-categories listed below. This means that:
- persons who were appointed in a FAIS role prior to 1/1/2010 and who have completed this qualification may receive exemptions for the second level Regulatory Examinations for the categories where it has been awarded (S) and (SP).
- persons who were appointed in a FAIS role after 1/1/2010 and who have completed this qualification may receive exemption for second level Regulatory Examination for the categories where it has been awarded (SP).