CAPE TOWN: 27 AUGUST 2012
Business Acumen for Artists
This course will teach artists everything they need to know about basic business; from how to manage their finances to how to market themselves more effectively and critically – to negotiate decisively when pitching a product and pricing an idea. This is a profound and practical investment for artists who will emerge more confident about their creative aspirations and be much better equipped to continue working creatively but without being so vulnerable to exploitation.
Freelance Creatives* from any artistic discipline requiring broad business skills to more effectively achieve sustainable success in their creative endeavours. All applicants are required to submit a motivation for their inclusion on the programme, and are required to have a specific artistic goal to be achieved by the end of the programme.
* Freelance Creative refers to any fine artist, writer, animator, musician, ceramicist, photographer, designer, composer, theatre / screen actor or director who is in the process of establishing a career in the field of music, digital media, visual arts, theatre, film or literature.
A thirteen week journey exploring the elements required to hone the business acumen vital to make the artistic endeavour sustainable and profitable.
The process is underlined by a six month mentoring support function:
- Develop fluency in the language of Business
- Explore your own leadership and negotiation style
- Understand how to price a product or service
- Finalise a business plan
- Gain financial and money management skills
- Understand budgeting, cashflow and freelance tax for artists
- Learn to negotiate effectively when pitching a product
- Conceptualising ideas through Blue Ocean Strategy
- Project Management skills
- Network and learn from other creatives
- Explore web-based strategies for personal branding and convergence
- Develop a marketing strategy on a bootstrap
- Apply new skills through journaling and reflection.