During these challenging times, when business is changing on all fronts, it is imperative for businesses to develop new leaders, to assist them in realising their potential, both for their company's success, and for the future of leadership in South Africa. The STRATEGIC WOMEN IN LEADERSHIP PROGRAMME has been run at Wits Business School and Milpark Business School. The programme has been designed specifically to assist women in management positions to better manage, lead and gain leverage within their organisations.
The programme's unique educational environment is both powerful and inspirational because it operates on several different levels. As an analytical experience; the focus is on learning innovative leadership competencies. On a developmental level, the result is transformational, as participants step back and reflect on what key issues mean to them as individuals and professionals. The experience is also creative, with participants exchanging personal experiences and insights. Equally significant is the strong connective component. A supportive and energised setting promotes peer-to-peer learning through ongoing interchange amongst accomplished female executives.
- Strategic Thinking in a Global Business Context
- Being Strategic about your Career
- Personal Mastery for Leaders in a Diverse and Transitional society
- Boardroom Media Presentation and Personal competencies
- Personal Branding for visibility and credibility in your organization
- Negotiation intelligence
- Political Acumen in the World of Work
- Mastering the art of Networking
- Assertive Living
- Healing the Female Self-Esteem
- Alleviating the FOG (Fear, Obligation & Guilt) factor
BENEFITS OF COURSE ATTENDANCE
- Leadership skills and strategies required to assume senior management positions.
- An ability to think strategically and enhance your risk profile.
- Access to coaching and mentoring which is essential for female leaders’ personal and professional growth.
- A valuable business network of other senior women
- Enhanced personal confidence and competence
- A personal mastery and branding strategy which will enable female participants to shatter their own glass ceilings.
STRATEGIC WOMEN IN LEADERSHIP COURSE CONTENT
1. STRATEGIC THINKING IN A GLOBAL BUSINESS ENVIRONMENT
Many emerging leaders have focused their career in one industry and have worked their way up the ladder through the ranks. The result has been an excellent understanding of how their industry works, but with little understanding of where it fits in the global environment.
- Engage with strategy tools that assist in fostering innovation
- Apply models to identify and prioritise the key opportunities to take your organisation into the future
- Develop future scenarios
- Review and update your organisation's vision and strategic intent
- Be able to develop operational strategies to realise your organisation's vision
- Understand ways to manage and measure organisation change
2. BEING STRATEGIC ABOUT YOUR CAREER
This module is designed to focus women's attention on their career, what stage of their career they are in, and how to develop a long-term career plan which will ensure they achieve their latent potential. In other words it equips them to break through the "glass ceiling"!
- An understanding of the competencies required at the executive level;
- An ability to differentiate the inward and operational focus of the level 3 manager vs. the strategic view of the level 5 executive;
- An ability to identify the strategic elements of business problems at the executive level and apply the appropriate leadership and management strategies to address these strategic issues.
Practical skills will also be gained in:
- Environmental scanning;
- Redefining stakeholders;
- The importance of picking the right lieutenants
3. PERSONAL MASTERY FOR LEADERS IN A DIVERSE AND TRANSFORMATIONAL SOCIETY
Maximise your personal power by focusing on your unique individuality:
- Eliminate self-sabotage and replace self sacrifice with self development
- Extend your boundaries, manage ambivalence and master multiple roles
- Harness your full potential through conscious attitude management
- Become emotionally literate by facing your fear, managing your anger and eroding the guilt.
- Understand the source of femininity and align yourself powerfully, with a changing world
4. BOARDROOM MEDIA AND PERSONAL PRESENTATION COMPETENCIES
Achieve respect and maximize impact through powerful communication skills.
- Enhance and strengthen your communications skills.
- Position and present your ideas in a credible manner.
- Understand how the media think and achieve your set objectives
- Present with authority, authenticity
5. PERSONAL BRANDING FOR VISIBILITY AND CREDIBILITY IN YOUR ORGANISATION
A personal brand is a promise of what an individual delivers in the work they perform.
Well established marketing brands eg. Coke or Levis are reliable and consistent, yet also reinvent themselves regularly. People need to adapt these same branding strategies to themselves, constantly updating their skills and capabilities to adjust to the changing business environment. Branding oneself is often difficult for women because they have a natural tendency to want to blend in and not stand out in any way. A well developed personal brand ensures that an individual's visibility and exposure are maximised in the corporate world.
The aim of this module is to provide emerging women leaders with:
- The ability to develop their own personal branding strategy.
- Understand the value of building ones brand.
- The branding tools to raise their visibility and credibility
6. NEGOTIATION COMPETENCE
Many women suffer from an inability to "ask" for what they want. Some feel uncomfortable discussing financial issues for example, and requesting what they want in an effective manner.
This module is designed to show the female manager that everything is negotiable! This will be done though simulated exercises which are aimed at:
- Showing how to plan a negotiation strategy and determine the desired outcome.
- How to focus on interests (i.e. the desired outcome) and not the personal side of things such as people or position.
- Determining the climate of negotiation.
- Identifying the types of negotiations.
- Identifying the negotiation phases.
- Learning to prepare and bargain.
- Understanding positions of power and leverage.
- Understanding human dynamics.
7. POLITICAL ACUMEN IN THE WORLD OF BUSINESS
A non-political corporate environment would be a very rare find. Unfortunately playing politics can be both time consuming and demoralizing.
This module will:
- Give the female manager an understanding of the dynamics of competing agendas.
- Differentiate between power and politics and influence.
- Identify the rules so that you can understand and manage the game.
- Assist in using corporate politics to benefit your performance and your career
8. NETWORKING COMPETENCE
In effect this module provides women with the skills to ' make their connections count'.
The aims of this module is to:
- Provide an understanding the power and necessity of networking.
- Provide a format to evaluate the female manager's personal and professional networking philosophy and resource base.
- Learn the how-to of effective networking to forge alliances with key stakeholders within the organisation and externally in industry.
- Develop a complete Networking strategy
- Expand your business network
9. ASSERTIVE LIVING
In order to live assertively, it is essential that we hold the belief that conflict has the potential to resolve tension in relationships. When this skill is practiced astutely, with conviction and balanced energies its impact is nothing short of miraculous.
- Stop being a door mat!
- Stop being anxious and aggressive
- Rather understand your personal rights and encounter conflict constructively
- Find the balance between passive aggression, aggression and assertiveness.
- Improve your relationships and resolve tensions
- Be confident, find the words and say what you mean
10. HEALING THE FEMALE SELF-ESTEEM
"Self esteem is at the core of all the developmental challenges women leaders face."
If we as women are emancipated and liberated, then:
- Why are so few of us in positions of leadership?
- Why when we get there do we leave?
- Why when we deliver high quality work, and long hours, do we not reap the rewards we deserve?
The key to these answers lies in unpacking how:
- Our parenting , educational, religious and working experience
- Impacts our motivation, attitude, and pride in our elves.
In order for our life and career paths to be enriched, and rewarding we first need to understand:
- How our self esteem was formed,
- How we can heal, manage and develop it
- How we can free ourselves from emotional servitude to others
- How we can set boundaries and expect people to respect them
11. ALLEVIATING THE FOG FACTOR
Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG) are emotions familiar to many women.
- They drive your behaviour
- Steal your joy
- And deplete your self confidence
Take the time to identify the source of these emotions
- Assess whether the FOG factor impacts your personality?
- Does the FOG compromise you in your personal relationships?
- Do traditional and cultural beliefs add to the FOG factor?
- Laughter and insight reduce the role of " FOG" in our live
Dr Renate Volpe
CEO - Dr R Volpe
Executive Vice-President HR
Senior Faculty & Business Development:
GSB - University of Cape Town
Director: Write Angles editing
Ex presenter: Carte Blanche
Linda van der Colff
Global Head Leadership & Learning
Corporate Nutrition Expert
MD: Lindamahle Consulting
CEO: Free to Live
Chief Image & Style Consultant
House of Janine
Deshun Deysel & Associates
Wealth Planner: Citadel
- How men are copying with the changing world of women Mike Lacey-Smith
- Patterns of Leadership Deshun Deysel
- Being a Woman Executive Zine Nkukwana
- Nutrition Specialist Christine Stent-Pinha
- Plan as if you will be single Kerry King
- Image, Style & Fashion Jeanine Starkey
- Healing the Female Self-Esteem TBA
TWO COACHING SESSIONS INCLUDED
Traditionally people leave executive development programmes feeling invigorated, but find it difficult to sustain this in the business environment. The STRATEGIC WOMEN IN LEADERSHIP PROGRAMME addresses this issue by including a coaching component as part of the core course content. Each delegate will have access to various coaches in fields such as strategy, finance, leadership and people management.
Book by Dr Renate Volpe:
- Lessons from the school of hard knocks
- Leadership Kit which consists of 10 sets user friendly prompt cards in the following areas:
- Corporate political intelligence
- Personal Mastery
- Strategic Thinking
- Personal Branding
- Negotiation Intelligence
- Leadership Insights
- Networking Tips
- Resilient Living
- Self-Esteem Nuggets
- Assertive Living