"The Games that People Play"
Remaining informed and being able to understand what is happening contributes to continued mental health.
Politics are those actions taken within an organization to use power and other resources to obtain ones preferred outcome in a situation in which there is uncertainty.
Dysfunctional politics generally:
- Maintain the status quo
- Promote group think
- Advance the individual agenda at the expense of others
- Avoid, confuse or prevent custodianship of assets people and relationships
Healthy politics may:
- Advance the organizations agenda
- Are appropriate and future orientated
- Enhance individual resilience
- Enhance sense making, meaningfulness, manageability and goal setting
In summary political intelligence is:
- The ability to read the environment
- Staying focused on goals and action steps
- Recognizing where the power lies
- Identifying the true motives and hidden agendas of others
- Maintaining a sense of humor
If we consider that leaders are astute players of politics, the good news is that being politically smart is a skill that can be mastered. Each of us has a natural political style that can be made more effective. Your challenge is to learn how to play the game whilst simultaneously trying to improve the rules.
Why you should attend!
- Leaders are astute players of politics
- Being politically smart is not a trait but a skill that can be mastered
- Each of us has a natural political style that can be made more effective.
- Politics are a pervasive part of the fabric of corporate life.
- For better or for worse, power and influence rule the turf.
- Politics may be defined as the art of getting things done and reaping the rewards, or as getting things done in the face of opposition.
- For those of us serious about our careers, political acumen is an essential competence in the world of work.
Module One - Setting the scene
- Why are politics everywhere you go?
- What is the function of political behavior in everyday work life?
- Does political behavior always have to be negative?
- Understand the drivers of human behavior.
- Determine the consequences of not understanding the rules of the game.
Module Two - Assessing the turf
- What is the culture of the company within which you work?
- Determine your own style of play.
- Assess your level of competence.
- Are you working with purists, team players, street fighters or a maneuver's?
Module Three - Create your tool kit
Module Four - Name the game
- The cleaver
- Faking right and going left
- The lobbyer
- The poker player
- The set up
Module Five - Diagnosis, tactics and interpersonal skills
- Setting boundaries
- Working with unsafe people
- Negotiating your future.
Module Six - Improve your Political Intelligence (PQ)
- Skills and
Module Seven - Living with yourself and raising the stakes
- Personal mastery in a political context
- The leaders role
- The last resort
Facilitator: Dr Renate Volpe
Award Winner - The most Influential Woman in Business and Government (SME - Education & Training, CEO Magazine) Dr Renate Volpe is a recognized expert in the arena of people development, leadership and change management. She represents a unique combination of academic ability (PHD in leadership), is a successful corporate player with thirty years of business experience (first as an employee and then as a business owner) as well as being a resilient and innovative entrepreneur.