The Trade, Investment Promotion and Economic Development Programme (TIPED) is designed to provide a seamless pipeline to build South Africa’s capacity to lead and manage strategic and sustainable investment, both inwards to the country and in building the country’s export capacity to global markets, in line with the strategic goals and objectives of key stakeholders. The stated strategic plans, included in the National Development Plan, provide a useful benchmark against which to assess progress being made.
TIPED is highly customised to provide relevant and rigorous high level, experiential learning to understand the ‘why’ (context) and historical perspective of investment across key regions and sectors, using the latest thought leadership, as well as focusing on the ‘how’ (processes and systems) critical to achieving desired trade and investment outcomes through optimal management and leadership, and the ‘what’ (content) consisting of new knowledge and best practice that is critical in ensuring successful economic growth and developing strategic investment.
Delegates will be engaged and supported by academic practitioners, experts and thought leaders, both local and international. Where feasible, real time case studies and business examples will be reviewed and analysed with the actual investors and stakeholders, to assess the value, risk and long term benefits of investment initiatives.
The assessed component of the programme will include team-based and individual assignments, focusing on the strategic priorities, opportunities and challenges of sponsoring organisations.
Key Learning Outcomes:
- Understanding the context of global economic development and the international investment landscape (including China, Singapore and Africa)
- Increased knowledge of the drivers of international trade, investment and foreign direct investment
- Competency development in Investment promotion strategies, tools and techniques for marketing and branding a country and region, including public relations and communication planning and systems
- Managing international partnerships and alliances, and regional collaboration
- Understanding key financial concepts and increased financial literacy, including capital structuring and investment, and Public-Private Partnerships
- Performance management, values, ethics and culture change
- Revenue generation, commercial ventures and new markets
- Governance, regulation and sustainability
- Leading complexity, change and uncertainty
- Strategic Project Management
The programme will consist of five modules of two days each, to be offered over five months, commencing on the 15th July through to November 2021. The programme will be held in Johannesburg.
The programme is designed to be relevant to the needs of stakeholders and participating organisations, with a unique focus on doing business in Africa. Key points of departure will include the latest best practice and developments across significant trading regions and countries, including Singapore, UAE (Dubai), Brazil, China and India.
A blended learning approach will ensure that delegates have access to content via a dedicated website for the programme to engage and optimise the learning experience over the five modules.
The resources of the region will also be examined, with a focus on the upgrade and development of manufacturing capabilities along the East Coast of Africa in underpinning trade and investment, particularly with Asia. Trade and investment synergies to be developed between countries along the Eastern Seaboard of Africa,
including the East3Route initiative, will be included.
The first three modules will offer the core content for proficiency in the subject matter, with the remaining two modules being offered at an advanced level.
Option 1: Core Programme
- Six days (3 modules – 1 per month)
Option 2: Advanced Programme
- Four days (2 modules – 1 per month)
An optional international module (5 working days – one week) may be developed for graduates of the programme. This will be priced separately to the programme. Further information is available upon request.